I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 7 January 2017

Beckfoot Bridge



I haven't walked in this direction for a long time, though it used to be a regular route when I lived near Bingley. This is the old packhorse bridge, built in 1723 to replace a wooden bridge, crossing Harden Beck at Beckfoot. The bridge is just wide enough for one person or a horse to cross, though in some weathers the stream can be forded as it is relatively shallow at this point. (I've seen cars stranded in the beck, mind you, when blindly following their sat-nav.) The bridge is on an ancient packhorse trail through Bingley and along the Aire valley.  The farmhouse alongside dates back, I think, to 1617 and is once believed to have been associated with the Knights Templar, as denoted by the curious lantern finials at the corners. 


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures Jenny.
    I have a painting (done by my mum) of Beckfoot bridge. It hangs over my bed and I love it very much.
    Mum ( from Lincolnshire) came to Keighley to do her nurse training and married my dad ( from Bingley)
    She was a sister at Bingley hospital for years, before having a family and moving to Haworth.
    I know she will love to see these photos. We both love your blog.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacquie. Nice to hear that lovely story about such a pretty spot.

      Delete
  2. I really like the look of the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful spot that is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, especially the first one. The light and the fog make it almost look like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both beautiful, jennyfreckles.

    ReplyDelete