I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 21 May 2016

The red, red robin


There were plenty of little birds enjoying the sunshine and, with few leaves on the trees, it was a good time to spot them. Harlow Carr must be bird paradise... there are nest boxes and areas that are carefully managed for wildlife so there must be abundant food - and no cats, at least as far as I have seen.

I was trying out my new lens. (Hooray, finally treated myself!) I have been feeling for some time that I needed a bit more 'reach' than my old 18-55mm lens had. After much deliberation I have bought an 18-200mm. I realised that I wasn't going to be bothered a) to carry more than one lens and b) to start swapping lenses over whilst I am out and about. Getting one that covered the same ground plus a bit more seemed sensible. It's a bit heavier but not unreasonably so. I am on a learning curve now, particularly in terms of getting the depth of field right. It does mean I stand more chance of getting photos of wildlife, though it's not something I am very practised at so far. At least robins sit there obligingly and don't freak out too much when a person turns a camera on them!

3 comments:

  1. Pretty shots! I don't see birds like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your robins are such cute wee things compared to our big ones. I always like them on British Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your robins are much paler than ours are. An American robin is good sized and has a distinctive red breast. And, a new lens? Congratulations! You will like having it. My every day lens is 18 - 135 mm, and it lets me do both wide angle scenes and moderate close-ups. Yours will reach even further.

    ReplyDelete