I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 16 June 2014

Countdown to Le Grand Départ


You may recall me saying a couple of years ago that Yorkshire had been awarded the opening stages of the 2014 Tour de France cycle race... Well, Le Grand Départ is getting closer (5 & 6 July) and the whole county is becoming saturated with (media!) excitement.  There are lots of cultural events associated with it too. There has been so much hype that I am already bored with it.  Even my local garage has repainted its courtesy cars with Le Tour slogans.

This countdown clock, with its busy little cyclists through the ages (spot the penny-farthing bicycle?) is in the Trinity shopping centre in Leeds.

Given that they will close a lot of the roads, if you want to watch it you will have to get up at the crack of dawn just to secure a viewing spot - and given the speed with which the cyclists will flash past, I may just stay home and watch it on TV! I must be getting old....

7 comments:

  1. It's coming through Cambridge too. They've put up a couple of small banners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TV is the best way to watch most sports - I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely share your inertia - if that's what it is. I enjoy cycling, think Mr Wiggins is a super-star, but get very hacked off with what seems to be an increasingly selfish (and dangerous) brand of lycra clad loonies on the roads these days. I feel better now, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the clock ! We hav had the Tour several times here, , it's a big mess, and when they run through the city , it lasts a very very short moment ! So yes, for once, tv is the best solution !

    ReplyDelete
  5. At home in front of the TV is probably the best place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic clock and great about Tour de France. Hope Bradley Wiiggins will be OK for it and Chris Frome.

    ReplyDelete