I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 13 December 2012

Star light, candle light


Advent.... the expectant waiting for Christ's coming - a Christian season that I find really helpful and try to observe in small ways. I love the Advent carols we sing in church, I love lighting the candles, I find it a time for counting my blessings. I try not to spend the whole of December rushing around in a pre-Christmas frenzy; there's so much happening to enjoy. Like me, many people engage in the tradition of opening windows on an advent calendar each day, counting down the days - maybe anticipating the chocolate inside too, if you go for that kind of calendar!

In December in Saltaire, as regular readers of this blog will know, the village becomes a 'Living Advent Calendar'. Each day from the 1st to the 24th December, a window display is lit somewhere in the village. Glowing each evening from dusk until about 10pm, the lighted windows form a lovely trail as the month goes on, a chance to marvel at people's creative ingenuity. It's well worth a visit if you live locally. For those that can't visit, there are ways to share. I will be posting some photos on my blog as usual and there is also a Facebook page that features all the windows, as they're lit - click here.

This one - window number 6 - is the one in Saltaire Methodist Church Hall, created by members of Saltaire Art Club. They always make a good job of it and I really like this year's display. The strong colours and bold shapes have quite an impact.

5 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I love the idea of a live Advent Calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of your most beautyful traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the last 2 Chritmases that you have shown these advent widows of Saltaire. Gosh it doesn't seem that long that I've been reading your posts. Looking forward to seeing some more this year. Number 6 is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tradition of the 'living Advent calendar.' Such a good reminder of what Christmas is really all about - God becoming a human in order to rescue us from our sinful selves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete