I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Park Live


On such a beautiful day we really didn't want to be inside all the time so it was great that there were lots of open areas to walk, sit and relax. In the centre of the Park, on either side of the river, there were two huge TV screens showing the key events live.  Just like on 'Henman Hill' or 'Murray Mound' or whatever they choose to call it at Wimbledon, the atmosphere here was terrific, with huge cheers and rounds of applause whenever one of the Team GB athletes did something special.  The day we were there, there was lots of track cycling from the Velodrome.  Jessica Ennis (a Yorkshire lass) was starting her heptathlon in the Athletics Stadium, which she eventually won in superb style.  The local press, by the way, are making much of the fact that if Yorkshire was a country (which some folks would probably like!) we'd be way up there in the medals table (15th I think) with five golds, two silvers and three bronze medals.


In and around the Park there were all sorts of street performers and people dressed in bizarre costumes.  I'm still not sure what these folks were doing, but it was a lively dance with flags ... and large fake moustaches!  I just caught them as I was on my way out towards the end of the evening.

6 comments:

  1. I remember how, a few years ago, we spent time on Henman Hill. There's a unique kind of rapport when you're part of a crowd, around the big screen. I like the way you've positioned the main arena in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wondeful there were street entertainers outside the venues, we do it so well in this country!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you being there. It was quite a sight on television to see the runners especially running through the countryside and downtown. Thanks for sharing ths adventure with us. You take us with you! gin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted on my blog a request that you made not long ago! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the rainy and cold summer you had, the wonderful weather for the Olympics must have been welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't see the big screens. The queue to get into that section of the park was horrendously long!

    ReplyDelete