I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 9 July 2012

Cenarth Falls


Not far from Cilgerran is the picturesque village of Cenarth, with its famous waterfalls.  We were obliged to stop here, when my granddaughter was making her objections to being strapped into a car seat rather obvious and loud!  We hastened into a pretty little café for a restorative cup of tea - and the change of scene did much to calm E, thankfully. We then ventured up the river to the waterfalls, flowing in spate due to the recent heavy rain - and, to my great delight, we saw a huge salmon leap up the falls! It's the first time I have ever witnessed that, despite over the years going to several spots where it is said to happen.  Looking at the rush of water, you can only marvel that the fish manage it at all.  I did not, of course, manage to capture it in camera - but good old Youtube has someone's video if you want to see the spectacle.  I always thought it happened in the autumn, when the fish return to their breeding grounds, but this one must have been in a hurry to get back!

4 comments:

  1. Little ones can really let you know when they are bored. Good excuse for a cup of tea and some photos. I found I couldn't concentrate on photography when I was around the grands other than to take shots of them. The falls are beautiful and the sound of them on the video was great. You were lucky to see a salmon jumping. Their life cycle is a fascinating one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, get your Photoshop out and stitch a couple of layers together. You saw it and therefore it is only right that you have a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I have always wanted to see salmon jumping like that. By the way, I will soon have another new little grandson. My son and daughter-in-law are expecting any day now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Alan's pragmatism! I also love the shot of the falls with the mill behind. It's the sort of spot that begs for a mill. And of course old mills are among my favorite things. Jim

    ReplyDelete