I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 9 October 2011

Nostalgia


A few weeks ago, Martin at 'Square Sunshine', one of my favourite blogs, wrote a thoughtful little piece about the power of the place where you were born, how it can soothe and calm one's soul.  I hope he won't mind me quoting from it: "Years ago, I unconsciously planted my flags of reminder. They still fluttered in the lanes and cast shadows on the flint.... There can be only one true place where my body and soul feel perfectly at ease. It's a force of attraction that's impossible for me to deny, an invisible, unbreakable tie that holds me fast as the world changes around and about. It may not be where I live, but it's home all the same."

Well, that (though I could never have expressed it so poetically) is exactly how I feel about north
Nottinghamshire.  Whenever I go back and see again the mellow old brick - so different from Saltaire where I live now - and the little alleyways between the houses, I am transported back to the comfort of my childhood.  I had a great aunt and uncle (on my mother's side) who lived in Southwell, in a red-brick terraced cottage across the fields from the Minster.  Whether it was the attraction of their dog, a wire-haired fox terrier; the fact that they still had an outside loo across the yard or the quaintly old-fashioned cottage with its real fire, rag rugs and three flying plaster ducks on the wall, I don't know - but I loved to visit them when I was a child.  Uncle Jim was over 100 when he died and Auntie Hilda was 97.  I'm glad I knew them.

The Southwell yard above is not the one where they lived but it reminded me of it.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny .. lovely photos and blog posts - interesting as I quickly scanned a few others .. I've just come across from Betsy's blog - funny how we can jump the pond and be back over here in little old England!

    Good to meet you and I look forward to your thoughts and photos in the future .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny .. loved your comment on the Dutch toilets .. I'll quote it in my post of today .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely photo. Almost makes me nostalgic too although it does not remind me of my own childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny funnily enough your Blog is one of my Flags of reminder to remind me of the Yorkshire I left when we moved to Australia in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A french song says:" we all have a bench, a tree or a street, where we built our dreams". Your beautyful post reminds me of it. You're so true.. Have a nice sunday, dear Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roots are so important! They define so much of what we have become and give us security as times change. A very thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Martin's blog, too! And his words here are so beautifully written. Your aunt and uncle sound like they were a charming couple. And that little beautiful spot in the photo is so charming! I'd move there in a second! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely place! Lovely memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos, I love your amazing blog. I'm your newest follower:) http://colorful-balloons.blogspot.com/ Because your blog is wonderful, I will add you on my blogosphere list. Well done, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful post Jenny - and got me thinking about the place I was born and yes! it holds a special place in my heart.
    Your capture of the mellow brick and alleyways of your home town is delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post. Reminders of aunty and uncle visits in days gone by near Sheffield.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderfully evocative scene Jenny. How blessed we are to have such precious, happy memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these little quirky places in England!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! I'd be nostalgic too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful memory and the vision of the gate entrance to this home is lovely.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting. Where I was born (deep south UK) has little effect on me. Where I grew up though......

    When we went back to Scarborough last week we drove round past the house where I lived before the place I consider 'home'. I felt no attraction to it whatever, even though it's only about two miles away. But the place we lived in from when I was seven has exactly the effect you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, so what does it mean when you're attracted to where someone else spent their childhood?? lol BEAUTIFUL photo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful scene from your hometown. It makes me want to transport myself there. Thanks for sharing that and I enjoyed hearing about your Aunt and Uncle, what a beautiful memory. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete