I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 5 June 2011

I is for Information


The Tourist Information Centre in Saltaire closed in 2007.  It was privately run by Roger and Anne Heald from their thriving little Gift Shop at 2 Victoria Road (where Magic Number 3 is now) and was a really friendly and homely place, offering a warm welcome to visitors from near and far.  When they retired, the business closed down and since then there has been no central place in Saltaire where visitors could get help or information about the village and its history... a sad state of affairs for what is now a World Heritage Site.  There has been talk for a while of Bradford Council opening a Visitor Information Centre in the village and on my evening walk the other day I noticed this big blue  'i'...... so it looks like it's happened, hurrah!  The Centre is housed in what used to be Sir Titus Salt's private quarters in Salts Mill, at the bottom of Victoria Road; rather appropriate I think.  I will make sure I go and visit it soon, and report back further!

(BTW you can see yesterday's window up there - but the sun was fading fast.)

9 comments:

  1. Good! Tourists need a chat and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news! it's not good when such a lovely city has no information center, especially when being part of UNesco world heritage..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the window up there! Glad you are getting an info centre - there is a possibility that I may be there this fall and will need info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Pigeon Lake. Glad you have an active "I" now!
    We have just had a hail storm but now it is warm and sunny again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the TIC is up and running again. We found them SO useful in every town that had one. We usually had a headsup about location, but even when we didn't, they were easy to spot because of the 'i.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a place like Saltaire that has such a strong tourist focus, it is surprising that there has not been an information center. Glad that is being rectified.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's indeed a good sign to see!! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  8. I impressed the title..and these people need a assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realise that they need an information centre and it's appalling that the council haven't made sure that it's covered but that sign isn't really in keeping is it? They need to be visible but that's a BIT big!

    ReplyDelete