I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Inside Saltaire's church


The inside of Saltaire's famous Grade I listed United Reformed Church (formerly known as the Congregational Church) is as ornate as the outside - perhaps unusually so for a non-conformist church.  I am never sure whether I like or dislike the decorative cut-glass and ormolu chandeliers, originally lit by gas. They are so heavy that the roof had to be especially strengthened.  It is a nice light space inside though and the ceiling is most attractive.  The green columns, which you can see in the corners, are hollow and decorated with a paint effect called 'scagliola'.  A little balcony sits over the entrance door and looks up the aisle towards the front, where the organ and pulpit are.   I believe it was intended for the use of members of Sir Titus Salt's family, though as Sir Titus did not live in Saltaire himself, I'm not sure if he regularly worshipped in the church.

For more photos and information, please click the Saltaire URC label below.

16 comments:

  1. A beautiful interior of the church Jenny.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the chandelier is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wether we like it or not, we must admit these are real pieces of art, and i'm not sure someone would be able to make them today..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jenny, Magnificent decorative details and I wondered if it is a palace or musium at first glance. Loved going through your photos from Saltaire URC lavel, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A work of art in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always strikes me as a most amazing building, both inside and out. But I am always surprised when I go in by how small it is inside with how large it looks from the outside - a kind of reverse TARDIS effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly is ornate and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Off to the on-line dictionary for ormolu, tardis!
    A great photo Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous...and no 'made in China' tag. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ceiling is beautiful. It must make the interior seem very light and airy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The detail work is incredible - really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh! More interior shots, please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super architecture, I like churches and abbeys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a massive chandelier and I didn't even notice the balcony in the earlier post, it must be facing the organ. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete