I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Goose


A small flock of Greylag geese - with a couple of Canada goose interlopers - has established itself on the lawns around Saltaire's United Reformed Church, on the banks of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal.  The RSPB bird guide is rather sniffy about 'semi-tame and uninspiring' southern British Greylags, saying they don't have the 'special appeal' of the truly wild birds that overwinter in Scotland.  That may be true, but I doubt I could get as close to the wilder birds as I could to this cutie.  S/he was nibbling the grass and roots on the side of the canal and quite unperturbed that I was crouching down with my camera.  At first glance they appear to be 'brownish-grey birds' but close-up you can see the subtle colourings of the feathers, with their white frilly edges.  I think they're very attractive and they have a lovely little head too.

It's just a pity that all the waterbirds round here get filled up with bread that people bring down to feed them with.  It does them no good, and may even kill them.  A lady on one of the narrowboats further along the canal was trying to improve the situation by selling bags of proper food, but she is fighting a losing battle, I fear.

20 comments:

  1. She's very lovely and is very Toulouse looking, they have a beautiful nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she looks beautiful too. I agree with the feeding of wild animals, we are reminded over and over again not to feed native birds and animals as they will get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It remembers me a song I learned when learning english :"number two is a goose, number three is a bee.."
    I agree about feeding, ignorance can be dangerous for wild animals and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent a while at the weekend with my son watching these geese. I didn't know what breed they were, so this is a timely post from you. I couldn't disagree more with the RSPB bird guide - I think they are beautiful birds and I've been enjoying seeing them on the canal at Saltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful picture of that goose...love his color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your title...simply...Goose! She certainly requires no further introduction...her beauty speaks for itself. Such a super photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really excellent photo of a gorgeous goose. I think she must be a girl goose, she is so pretty. Check your bird book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's a fine-looking goose! I never got a chance to comment yesterday but I loved that shot - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a good goose portrait, Jenny. I wonder whey people insist on feeding the birds. They do just fine on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just have to do the girl thing and say he's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the lesson, I didn't know that about the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She does have a beautiful head; very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only way to tell girls from boys is with a measuring tape. Easy if you have a couple side by side- the boy is bigger than the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you can tell the RSPB from me, that's a beautiful goose and I find her quite appealing.

    Also appealing was yesterday's red door!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sharp! Beautiful photo and bird.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to see the ducks and geese, all varieties, not just posh ones. This one is a handsome fella. I so heartily agree about all the bread people feed them, sometimes I see full slices of bread being thrown at them. I don't know why councils don't put up signs informing people about what is best to feed the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful detail of this sweet little bird. Really nice shot! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete