I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 19 February 2011

The Railway Children


The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and surrounding area has been used many times as a location for films, TV programmes and adverts. (For the complete list see here.)  One of the most famous was 'The Railway Children', an adaptation of the book by Edith Nesbit, which was filmed there in 1970 and starred Jenny Agutter, Sally Thomsett and Bernard Cribbins.  Some of the action takes place here on Oakworth Station, including the scene of the homecoming of the children's father.  It remains a delightful and atmospheric little station, much as it has always been, with coal fires warming the Ticket Office and the Waiting Room and bits of railway ephemera including some lovely old metal advertising signs.  I bought a little booklet outlining a 'Railway Children Walk', taking in some of the main locations where the film was made, which I will explore sometime when the weather improves (and bring you pictures of, of course!)

I took so many photos at the Steam Gala Weekend that I have put some more on my other blog.

18 comments:

  1. What really caught my eye was the Camp Coffee sign; I remember that as a boy after the war - and it had very little to do with coffee. Brian from 'Nowhere' will probably also remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's a proper railway station!

    Picking up on the Camp Coffee, my grandparents couldn't stand real coffee, but always had Camp in the pantry. We still enjoy a cup, from time to time, although it's getting harder to find in the big supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including that list, Jenny. I've watched several of those TV shows it mentions. How fun! That station looks like a Jacquie Lawson greeting card. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Railway children is unknown in France, but I was happy to read about Poirot and Sherlock Holmes! I was sure of it!:)
    And I saw Cliff Richard! OMG!I loved his songs when I was young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these old stations, we live quite near to Ramsbottom in Lancashire and their station is good although maybe not quite as quaint and warming as this however.
    I've watched The Railway Children so many times....I thought it was filmed in or around your area. It's still a delightful film, if only we could remember the values they held then. I feel sure manners towards others should still be on the curriculem at school and at home as they were back then!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is quite lovely. I really like that lamp post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love all your photos! Keep them coming! What is Virol?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love old railway stations something magical about them. Mum took my youngest nieces to see The Railway Children performed on a station in London (can't remember which one) and a proper steam engine arrives on the station - they loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again Jennn.
    I always look up your blog and enjoy it
    I was on the Haworth bridge that
    day. Exiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is utterly charming and it does look familiar although I haven't seen the movie you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is the kind of place that looks familiar even if we have never been there and have never seen it in films. It has a comfy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photography and charming locale. You have an excellent eye for the telling detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful place. No wonder it's chosen as a good spot for films.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok. Now I realize that I've gotten through life without reading the book or seeing the movie about The Railway Children. So I had to go to Netflix and order it for shipment tomorrow. I must live in a cave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful image! Trying to catch up on posts I've missed of late :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the things that's always really annoyed me about that film is the way the mother asks at the start: "Is this the train for Yorkshire?". I'd really love for them to have dropped everyone off at Sheffield but they were hoping to get to Northallerton! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely scene, and it makes me want to explore the dreamy countryside up ahead too. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  18. Total charm. No wonder this train station is used in the movies. [Another week bites the dust... I can't believe it's been that long since I last dropped by...]

    ReplyDelete