I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 20 February 2011

It's all in the detail...


Another photo from my visit to the Winter Steam Gala Weekend of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway [KWVR].

You can tell how much the railway volunteers enjoy their roles and how much effort and thought they put into it, from the little things - the attention to detail.  Around the various stations on the line there are some really attractive 'set-pieces', like this pile of old luggage waiting for a porter.  It's these details that add colour and atmosphere to the visitors' experience - and of course they provide great photo opportunities for when you've had enough of chasing the trains.

By the way, for those with access to BBC1 TV, the three-part drama series 'South Riding' starts today (Sunday) at 9pm.  It was partly filmed in Saltaire, as you may remember from my blog last September.

13 comments:

  1. I must set an alarm for 8.50 pm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porters to carry your heavy luggage are something from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture : the detail is perfect (it is the kind of thing I have always admired about Disney Theme Parks actually, they too seem to go the extra mile for that extra bit of detail many won't notice). Looking forward to South Riding : I have a feeling I read the book decades ago, but I am trying not to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just smell them :)) remember owning suitcases like that!! lol take care, Judyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found out a bit about Virol- some old malt extract with cod liver oil and marmite like flavor, a teaspoon a day keeps the kid healthy and the doctor away....
    We moved house last year and got rid of our old trunks, The one on the bottom looks just like ours! We should just have put ours on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talking about details, I like the shadow of the streetlamp on the wall!
    I'd like so much to see this drama series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really stepping back into a time gone by when everything appeared to have been so organised and leisurely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love old luggage, this is really great! I'm enjoying this series very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I thought you were going away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those vintage steamer trunks are gorgeous! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love detail, and this photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful set of posts! The closeup of the wheel is spectacular, the little railway station is adorable, and the pile of vintage luggage is incredibly photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great old luggage trunks! It reminds me that I must now try to pack my bags for four months - winter and spring and early summer months - and I can NOT bring trunks like these! I'll be leaving next week and working on an assignment in Bucharest, with no idea right now whether I will have free time for any blogging... :-( But I will definitely have my camera along. :-)

    ReplyDelete