I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 5 February 2011

Gryphon jardiniere


As I'm sure I've observed before, one of the joys of visiting Salts Mill in Saltaire is that there seems to be something new to see each time.  I've lost count of the number of times I have wandered around the 1853 Gallery, getting my fill of David Hockney's art, the colourful stationery and artists' supplies, art and photography books and bright ceramics - all wrapped up in the heady scent from the vases of lilies they always have around the gallery.  But it was only this last time that I saw this unusual jardiniere - another Burmantofts design.  It has almost certainly been there for ages but I've never noticed it before.  I think it depicts a gryphon, a mythical creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. Thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature, they are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions - surely a good reason for this one to be sitting in the 1853 Gallery amongst the valuable Hockney artworks and Burmantofts ceramics.

6 comments:

  1. This jardinière (and the pots of yesterday) are so beautyful that I would not dare put plants in them!I would be afraid to spoil them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an unusual piece. I would love to visit the Mill museum but the next best thing is to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've really been showning us some wonderful pieces, Jenny. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this griffin! And the pottery you've been featuring is so luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a marvelous piece! I can't see it in my living room, but sitting there it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so majestic looking. Gorgeous! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete