I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Grey days


We have had plenty of grey, mizzly days of late; typical February weather in these parts.  Though I am always glad we do have a variety of weather;  I don't really know if I'd like being able to predict what the day is going to be like, even before I've looked out.

I was walking down Victoria Road in Saltaire, past the Mill towards the river and noticed how attractive the tonal gradations looked on the misty hillside.  When converted to monochrome it is even more noticeable.  It's one of the aspects I appreciate about living in Saltaire, that you can see beyond the built-up area and up to the woods and moors of Shipley Glen.  There are three bands of trees - those in Roberts Park, those on the Glen hillside (Walker Wood from this viewpoint) and then the fields and trees up on top - what's known as Hope Hill.

I always think Hope Hill is very aptly named.  "I lift my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." (Psalm 121)  My thoughts often turn to this verse when I glimpse Hope Hill.   I can imagine that, in the same way, looking up to the tranquil hill and remembering the psalm must have uplifted and comforted generations of Salt's mill-workers as they came to and from work... and perhaps even Sir Titus himself when he was having a bad day!

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful and I do love "mizzly"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post.. AGAIN!!! Jenny, you seem to get better and better and you were already pretty darn good when I first stumbled across you (via H's Blog) :)

    I don't know what you 'DO' in your day job, but I'm starting to wonder whether you've missed your life calling? Unless you are utilising these talents in your day job, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenny, We also had 'mizzly' days in Austria... and it seems to be open up to the very first sign of spring time...
    Your graduations of woods in grey tones remind me chinese-japanese ink drawings in ancient art... different shapes of mountains but the same spirit.
    Overlooking layors of trees, woods and valleys, artists, travellors and workers were thinking of eternity....
    Beautiful landscape make us all poet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edited for typos. If I could type 'the' I'd be a happy bunny!


    Mizzle is a peculiarly Yorkshire word isn't it? Like the 'frets' that used to come in off the sea at Scarborough. Somehow they're a lot more attractive up there than they are down here in the inner-city midlands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your picture captures the current weather perfectly. Is that broken-down fun-fare still at the top of Shipley Glen? If so, treck up there and work your photographic magic on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a grey, grey, grey morning here too but I do like the way you have captured the different shades in your photo. Psalm 121 is one of my favourite too and, like you, I utter it whenever I see a hill or a mountain. Thanks for the reminder. take care, Judyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. May be grey but still beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything hereabouts was shaded in ghostly greys, yesterday. Today we have the rain, too. Lovely photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely name...Hope Hill!
    Your photograph perfectly captures all the tones of grey, and there's that 'leaden' sky you spoke of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Mirimar Disaster in Sheffield has something to say about those kind of days. Mizzle Drizzle Shizzle....
    I like misty drizzly days too. Thanks for the new word!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photo is eye-catching, Jenny, and your text is very thoughful. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grey but beautiful!
    I almost can't believe we're having 21ºC and a great sunshine at the moment. Hope it will stay like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've had several cold dark grey days lately too! When the sun comes back it will be such a change!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've made a grey day beautiful. The secret to happiness is being grateful for what you have instead of yearning for what you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The gradations do look restful! The lamp post really sets them off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a beautiful image! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete