I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 7 February 2011

Dreich


dreich
(dre·ech) Dialect, chiefly Scot -adj.
1. (intr.) drab.
2. (tr.) dreary (referring to weather or a sermon).
3. often leads to a state of being drookit; grey.

I think this picture just about sums up the weather here at the moment - grey, rainy, very windy - generally dreich, as they would say in Scotland.  ( I am amused that the same word might refer to a sermon as well as the weather!)  The grass is sodden and muddy, there are puddles of standing water everywhere and the river is gently overflowing its banks in Roberts Park.  Nevertheless, there were some brave souls out for a brisk walk, perhaps unaware that what is normally a pleasant riverside path has temporarily become less riverside and more river!  They'll end up drookit (soaked through).

PS: I'm entering this one in the most boring blog picture of the week contest! (If there isn't a theme day for that, there ought to be!)

16 comments:

  1. The boat house looks like it is almost flooded. I know the feeling we have had rain all summer. At least it isn't cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see why you'd want to do that, Jenny! This has been an interesting post - I (for one) have learnt two new words and the photograph is really good! I'd love a bit of a grey day here...we've been having day after day of very hot and muggy weather. Some cloud and cool rain would be wonderful right now!

    Gazing at this lovely photograph will have to suffice for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but fortunately there is a big red, not to be missed, arrow pointing at the hazardous spot! Surely they'll see that in time. Before they get all drookit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine (Picture Post Mon) would beat yours any day. You're right it is miserable weather : I blame it all on the deficit the last Government left us with (everything else is blamed on that so why not the rain)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had the same weather here over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to remember that word. It describes most of January here this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh oh! Hope you had your boots on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't agree with you: this picture is not boring!you caught a moment of your winter. For me , it's really something different of what I live here, so it's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flooding is pretty bad in York too, but I haven't been able to get down to the Ouse. In any ase, the light has been pretty dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photo - hope the sun comes out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We actually had a little sunshine here today. In fact, I was inspired to hang some bedding on the line. Unfortunately, the wild wind ripped off the 6 retaining pegs and my quilt cover ended up on my garden :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is an Escher-like quality to the path that turns into the river...not boring at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually think this is an interesting picture and interesting post. You don't really want to compete with me today for most boring picture. I showed a bunch of vitamin bottles with "buy one get one free" labels. What could be more boring than that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a nice walking path. Nothing some rain boots wouldn't take care of in the flooded area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenny, I agree with Jack. This is a wonderful photo. I love days like this one. Do you have a book for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  16. As much snow as we have on the ground right now, this actually looks very appealing to me right now, almost like a spring rain with the green grass. Haven't seen grass in quite some time here! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete