I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 11 October 2010

A touch of autumn


Our weather is very Octoberish, though much warmer than is seasonal.  Mornings of mist, dull dank damp days and an occasional outburst of exuberant blue sky and sunshine.  You can see from this shot the gradual autumnal colour creeping into the trees.  For newcomers to my blog, the building is the huge Salts Mill, opened in 1853 by the Victorian paternalist Sir Titus Salt as a mill to produce fine wool worsted cloth.  He then proceeded to have an entire village - Saltaire - built around it, to house his workers.  Regular readers have seen many views of the building (for more, click the Salts Mill label) but I hope that you don't tire of its industrial grandeur.  I never do, though I see it every day.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful autumn colors Jenny.
    Have a great week.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm not tired! every picture is so different in colors, light, mood, angles, explanations.. Are you sure it's the same pace?..:)))
    You still have beautyful blue sky, when here we have rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a real range here. The horse chestnuts and beech are turning very quickly, but my sycamore and the hawthorn still look as green as ever.

    Definitely misty mornings though! In fact, a real pea-souper one morning last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great shot of this model industrial complex. It's really hard to believe we're in the final stretch of this year.

    [Dear Jenny, I also left a PS at Dina's. Not sure if you saw it when you went back. Just excuse my misplaced humour.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great composition of the three elements in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never tire of it - I think the architecture is equal if not better than any stately home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes those Autumn colours are just beginning to appear, even down here in the south (well the south of West Yorkshire)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you and Bob the Bolder in collusion with your autumn theme? The old gasworks chimney beside Morrisons in York is a bone of contention. Some want to preserve it as part of York's industrial architecture heritage, while others see it as an eye-sore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's marvellous to see that stack still there. In Vancouver, and I suppose lots of other cities in North America chimneys like that are often removed.

    The reason is usually the risk of them falling in an earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I've never had reason to step off the train at Saltaire, I always look forward to seeing the unique grand buildings like these from the train window. I agree with JM that the composition is good and the picture is greatly helped on this occasion by the contrasting blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those wispy clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful sight! I love seeing the trees when fall is just creeping in. Seeing the switch is fascinating for me, every year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shot! No, I'm not tired of seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love seeing it again and that tree really sets it off as a wonderful scene.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colours in that photo!
    Great shot!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful octoberish historic industrial view! Hugs from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete