I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Berry red

Maybe it's just my imagination but there seem to be even more Rowan berries than usual on the trees this year - and so bright. I've said before that the Rowan or Mountain Ash is one of my favourite trees (such good value - white blossom, red berries, super autumn leaf colours). I'm lucky to pass several on my usual walk to work and the combination of red and green with a blue sky never fails to cheer me. This view is looking back towards Salts Mill and Saltaire, more or less along the line of the railway from Shipley. Is it any wonder that I dawdle and stop to take photos.... luckily, we work flexi-time so I can't be late!

9 comments:

  1. It does seem a good year for the Rowan. There are a lot of berries around here too.

    What's really depressing me is the way that the Horse Chestnut are turning. Can't be autumn yet, surely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the new format is easier on the eye. Looks like Autumn on the way in those berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to know what a rowan berry was - so thanks. Living here in the southern hemisphere, yet being part of the northern hemisphere in what one reads and learns, little things like that can remain a mystery forever. Thanks for the interesting and beautifully photographed blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely picture jenny : and a perfectly concluded exercise in depth of field. The bright red and the green are like a Big Mac of the senses - most satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah so that is what a rowan berry looks like

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a green ash I would like to surrender, but this is beautiful.Mine sheds seed terrible every two years.I suffer because it shades my front yard all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be a everyday pleasure to have to use this road to go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tree! If I remember my Robert Graves aright (THE WHITE GODDESS), it has magical properties...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish my trip to work was as nice as yours :(

    ReplyDelete